On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:09:23PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:41:06PM +0000, Dave Smith wrote:
> > Maybe I'm being stupid here, but it appears that mutt and GPG are
> > behaving correctly.  How can it verify the signature on the message
> > if it wasn't signed?
> Or maybe I'm stupid ;) Why write anything about signature if it wasn't
> signed?

Because it wants to.  Because it feels lonely and wants someone to talk
to.  :-)

> > signed), there is no signature to verify, which is why you get
> > "PGP signature could NOT be verified."
> So this message means:
>   "You can't be sure who sent this mail because there were no signature
>   to check"
> and not:
>   "The signature is BAD, so somebody is cheating"

Replace "not" with "not necessarily".

The message means "GPG didn't tell me that it managed to validate a
correct signature".  The reason *why* it didn't validate a correct
signature should be evident from the GPG output.

The output of GPG will give you a clue if someone is cheating - I'm
not sure of the exact output, but I'm sure it would shout loudly.

I have signed this message with a bogus key, so you can see what happens.
My real key is available on www.keyserver.net.

--
David Smith            Work Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
STMicroelectronics     Home Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]