On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:53:53AM -0500, David T-G wrote:

> % $save_name refers to copies of outgoing messages, correct?  (Otherwise
> % the documentation is wrong).
>
> It has been verified to me off-list that $save_name will not only
> determine the target for your fcc but also for where a message in your
> mailbox gets saved.  I haven't checked it, but it can probably be
> considered valid until disproven rather than the other way around...

$save_name doesn't "determine the target" (as I desired to do
uniformly with my macro) -- $save_name allows the target to be defined
as the sender of the selected message. If a mailbox with that name
exists, the message is saved to that mailbox.  If no such mailbox
exists, the message is saved to $record.

Why would I want to save incoming mail to $record, which holds my
outgoing mail?  What bearing would this have on my question, which was
preventing the unhelpful default of save-to-sender from interfering
with my predetermined mailbox path?

$save_name is a boolean, defaulting to no.  I just checked it both
ways in 1.3.28, with and without a $record variable, and
four-for-four, saving an incoming message defaults to the sender of
the currently selected message.  I believe you were misinformed about
$save_name operating on incoming mail, and the docs are correct.

  -nat