Hi,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 08:25:21:AM -0500 Shawn McMahon wrote:
> begin  quoting what Rocco Rutte said on Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:04:14AM +0100:
> >
> > Just wondering why 1524 is so important to you...

> You lost me.

You lost me. We lost us. ;-)

> To the best of my knowledge, I have never discussed
> RFC1524 in this or any other mailing list, prior to this exchange.

Yes, yes, yes!

I wrote, that I read 1524 instead of - what you wrote - 1521. As a
result a looked up 1524 - and not 1521 you were writing about - and
wondered why it is so important to you... See?

> I've recently decided that it's insane for me to jump through hoops set by
> a company whose products I don't even purchase anymore, when I'm
> following 8.5-year-old standards.

Not that I like Linux very much or use it a lot, but this one of the
last chances 'we' have. Microsoft just shot themselves a while back by
breaking up with GNU and the GPL. As Linux becomes more important, more
people and companies tend to use it. As Outlook (Express) is not
available on that platform more and more people see that there in fact
are alternatives and what crazy and even more usefull things they might
do with a Unix like system.

> Ok, it's not a "standard" standard yet, but that argument is rendered
> moot when you stick a MIME header in your mails, which Outlook and
> Outlook Express do.

I know. I once hoped (and we all were once young and full of ideas and
energy ;-) to change something by using it. As people don't know the
most simple background (i.e. what headers are or even that they exist)
it's useless to even try to explain details. Dito with the
'X-Message(-Flag)' header.

> I choose to apportion that time so that as much of it as possible goes to
> talking to people with clue (like you), and as little as possible to
> people without clue who won't understand even if I wave the RFCs in their
> face.

I did not yet decide to do so (yet).

The point is that there're lots of people having to use it at work. Even
if those people are familiar to the standards, what shall they do if
they're not abled to convince someone with the power of decission not to
use Outlook anymore (I am aware of the BOFH... but quiting a job because
of that is not a solution for everyone)?

Also, lots of people are just ordinary end-users. I do not want them to
read and fully understand the standard, it needs someone to tell them
(illustrated by some bad examples) why RFC1521 conformance is important.
For people (like us) who are technically interested it's easy not to
choose Outlook. But I guess we're not the majority.

If everybody just gives up we'll lose because all others will use
Outlook (and we, too, at last). Not a very optimistic conclusion, isn't
it? But it perfectly fits the weather here...

Rocco