On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:54:29PM +0200, Stefan Frank wrote:
> At Thu, Apr 11 2002 [12:01 +0100], Ian Chilton aroused my curiosity with:
> > text/html; /usr/bin/links %s
>
> Try something like:
> text/html; /usr/bin/links %s; copiousoutput
>
> and read section 5.3 "MIME Viewer configuration with mailcap"
> in the manual.

Since this thread came up, I've been trying some of the stuff you
people have been suggesting.  I'm finding it very confusing.

One of the things driving this is I'd like to find a way to easily
report spam to spamcop, which means I have to pass an ID and password.
This is possible with lynx -auth=uname:passwd.  With w3m or links, it
would be something like w3m http://uname:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/

That's the background.  So in my ~/.mailcap, I tried "links %s;
copiousoutput":

  [-- Autoview using /usr/bin/links '/home/keeling/.mutt/tmp/mutt9aipDt' --]
  [-- Autoview stderr of /usr/bin/links '/home/keeling/.mutt/tmp/mutt9aipDt' --]
  ERROR: could not get terminal size

This in a real Xterm.  With no auto_view statements in .muttrc,
_everything_ comes up "blah/blah is unsupported. use v ..."

Here's (relevant parts of) my ~/.mailcap:

# works great (lousy cookie handling, but otherwise fine)!
#
text/html;               w3m -cookie %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html

# doesn't work at all, auto_view (.muttrc) or not.
#
# text/html;               /usr/bin/links %s; copiousoutput
#
# [-- Autoview using /usr/bin/links '/home/keeling/.mutt/tmp/mutt9aipDt' --]
# ^[[1;1H[-- Autoview stderr of /usr/bin/links '/home/keeling/.mutt/tmp/mutt9aipDt' --]
# ^GERROR: could not get terminal size

# doesn't work.
#
# text/html;               /usr/bin/lynx -force_html %s; needsterminal;

# works with autoview (.muttrc).
#
# text/html;               /usr/bin/lynx -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html

Right now, I like w3m the most of the three, lynx tends to work the
best, and links doesn't appear to work with mutt at all.

I've been rummaging around in the mutt manual for a couple of days
now, and I don't appear to be getting anywhere beyond where I was days
ago.  Ideas, comments, criticisms all welcome.

Finally, this is my first "L" post.  Is there a simple way to tell
mutt that I don't want to cc: the poster when I'm replying to the
list?  One of these days, I'm going to forget to clear out the cc:
header and somebody's gonna rag on me for it (with good reason IMO).

Thanks everybody.  You've been very helpful.       :-)

Mutt 1.3.12i (2000-11-27)
auto_view text/html
set mailcap_path="~/.mailcap"

Links 0.92

Lynx Version 2.8.3dev.9 (13 Sep 1999)

Yes, I'm aware these are all getting a little long in the tooth.

     TopQuark Software & Serv. Contract programmer, server bum.