On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:23:45PM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> I don't want to start a religious war, but is there consensus opinion
> as to whether mbox or Maildir is better?  I know mutt supports both
> automatically, so it's probably a bit of a mute question, but mutt
> also gives you the option of specifying which format new folders are
> set up in, so I thought I'd ask.

i like maildir for two reasons: no need for locking and i use an nfs
file system for mail.  as for the speed of maildir, i can't complain.
this list for example has over 1000 mails in its maildir and it opens
and sorts in about 5 seconds which is fast enough for me given the
reasons i use maildir.  also, if something were to go horribly wrong,
i would lose 1 mail while with mbox, at a minimu, you are left to try
and figure out where your mbox file is hosed as well as losing the
mail.

--
Peter Abplanalp

Email:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]