* Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-08-28 10:15:48 +0100]:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:05:57AM -0500, John Buttery wrote:
> >   Anyway, just out of curiosity, how come you guys aren't using TMDA?
> > Just haven't found it yet, or...?
> >
> Probably because it's useless for quite a number of people.

  Useless is a pretty strong word...it's merely a question of whether
the benefit of the tool justifies the setup time.

> Much of my incoming mail is in response to enquiries I send out to
> trade suppliers and small businesses.  If I implemented TMDA they
> would have to jump through hoops to get their response to me, it's
> difficult enough getting a response from some people anyway so I
> suspect that TMDA would reduce the reply rate to negligable
> proportions.  The alternative of modifying the TDMA 'whitelist' when I
> send the enquiry out is similarly flawed (I have to jump through
> hoops) and anyway isn't guaranteed to work as they may not respond
> from an address I know about.

  Well, I'm not going to get too far into advocacy here, given that
this is a MUA list and not a anti-spam software list, but I do need to
point out that you must have read a very old version of TMDA's feature
list, because it is much more than a simple whitelist (which you could
do with a 3-4 line procmail recipe anyway).  The situation you're
talking about sounds like a good candidate for TMDA's date-keyed
addresses.

> Only a very small proportion of my (wanted) incoming mail is from
> people/addresses that are known to me, a 'whitelist' would catch a
> tiny proportion of my mail.

  That depends very heavily on the robustness of the whitelist.  Maybe
TMDA isn't right for you...ok...but don't insinuate that it's just a
pattern check against a file with a list of regexps in it.  :)

 John Buttery

                Life is a whim of several billion cells
                        to be you for a while.

                                     (Web page temporarily unavailable)