* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-10-09 14:19]:
> I am having a problem using patterns with mail on an IMAP server.

hmm?  are there any special patterns for use with IMAP servers?

> I believe the problem is that mutt does not fetch the headers from
> the IMAP server and thus is not able to match patterns against
> them.  Here is what I am trying to do.  I want to move all my mail
> from the linux kernel mailing list, so I run the mutt macro:
>
>   T~elinux-kernel
>
> However, instead of tagging all the mail from the linux-kernel
> mailing list, it only tags the messages I have already read.

try this pattern instead then:

    T ~C linux-kernel

> I tried to work around this by copying
> all my mail to a dummy folder:
>
>   T~A;Cxyz
>
> and while this does dump it into a file called xyz,
> it does not seem to cause mutt to read the headers,
> so this workaround didnt work.

well, when you have copied the messages into a *local* folder
then you *should* get the headers with the messages, right?

ps: please do *not* use the address "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
but "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" - thankyou.

Sven