On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 10:32:24AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:21:17AM +0100, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > Hi Chris!
> >
> > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007, Chris G wrote:
> >
> > > It all works pretty much the same (no change of home directory so my
> > > muttrc is the same one) except that every time I send a mail message
> > > mutt tells me there's new mail in my sentmail folder - true enough but
> > > not very helpful!  It didn't do that on the BSD system.
> > >
> > > What do I need to do to fix this - or what can I do to diagnose what's
> > > going on?
> >
> > Have you specified your sentmail folder as mailbox in your .muttrc?
> >
> I don't *think* so, and anyway why would it change on the change of
> OS, the muttrc is the same file - still works on the old FreeBSD
> system.
>
> ..... but, yes, you're right, I have :-
>
>     set record=~/Mail/sentmail
>     mailboxes ~/Mail/inbox `echo ~/Mail/lists/*` `echo ~/Mail/*` `echo
> ~/Mail/spam/*`
>

> ... but why don't I see 'new mail' in ~/Mail/sentmail on the FreeBSD
> system?

I have just realised (I think) why it has changed.  The sentmail
folder is in mbox format and the file system is mounted with the
noatime flag so mutt can't *reliably* detect new mail.  It would
appear that on FreeBSD it reliably *can't* detect new mail but, for
some reason, on the more modern Linux system it *can* detect new mail
in that folder.

--
Chris Green