On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 08:49:04PM CST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> From: Peter Münster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On Sat, Jan 26 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin"
> > >
> > > Mutt is in /sw/bin/
> > >
> > > How can I add /sw/bin/ to my path?
> >
> > Just after logging in, you can enter the command "ls -alrut", that shows in
> > the last lines, the files that have just been read. Among these files,
> > there should be an initialisation file for your shell, for example .bashrc
> > or .profile. In the end of this file, you can put the line
> > PATH=$PATH:/sw/bin
>
> Your suggestion below pointed out that .bash_profile is the
> initialization file.  But .bash_profile has no references to Path in
> it.  I can add PATH=$PATH:/sw/bin  as you suggested, but will adding
> this override my original Path variable, or simply add it to the
> existing path?

Your ~/.bash_profile doesn't need any initial references to PATH,
because your shell inherits the default value from its parent process.
Without creating ~/.bash_profile, open a Terminal.app window and type
"echo $PATH" to see the shell's default value.  Going this way, I would
go with Peter Münster's  suggestion.

> If it is possible I would rather add  /sw/bin to the resource file
> where the rest of my Path is stored.  How would I go about doing this?

/sw indicates Fink.

<http://www.finkproject.org/doc/bundled/install-fast.php>

> The last command runs a little script to help set up your Unix paths
> (and other things) for use with Fink. In most cases, it will run
> automatically, and prompt you for permission to make changes. If the
> script fails, you'll have to do things by hand.
>
> (If you need to do things by hand, and you are using csh or tcsh, you
> need to make sure that the command source /sw/bin/init.csh is executed
> during startup of your shell, either by .login, .cshrc, .tcshrc, or
> something else appropriate. If you are using bash or similar shells,
> the command you need is . /sw/bin/init.sh, and places where it might
> get executed include .bashrc and .profile.)

So basically add the line ". /sw/bin/init.sh" into your ~/.profile or
~/.bash_profile init files.  This should add /sw/bin to your PATH, and
set up other Fink-related environment variables as well.

--
Eugene