Thanks for the thorough explanation.  It helped me to grasp how the whole Path
thing works.

Since I would like to add  /sw/bin to my  /etc/profile  I opened it, but only
discovered:

# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
        eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
fi

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
        [ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi

This is not what I expected, and can't think of where I should add  /sw/bin/
to my path.

I appreciate your patience.

Bill

From: Kyle Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>