On 2009-04-28, Rocco Rutte <pd...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I've never said mutt had any problems detecting new mail when
>> it checks.  The problem is it doesn't check when you hit "$" or
>> "." or anything else.
>
> Well, that's not a problem or bug, these functions do what
> they're supposed to and this excludes checking for new mail.

"A bug is when a program doesn't do what reasonable users
expect it to do."  I don't remember who told me that, but I'm a
firm believer in that philosphy.

We've seen multiple users surprised that the "sync" command
doesn't sync -- rather it just commits pending writes. That's a
bug in my book.  It can be fixed by changing the code to agree
with the name/descrition or vice-versa.

>> It sort of annoying to have to "change folder" to the current
>> folder so that you can read a message that's been sitting
>> being ignored by mutt.
>
> For the current folder, it should only depend on $mail_check
> and $timeout in the index. This has always worked for me
> without changing folders. With mail_check=15 and timeout=90
> mutt should tell you about new mail after 90 seconds being
> idle.

OK, I give up.

My desire to ask mutt to check the current folder for new mail
was clearly unreasonable.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want a VEGETARIAN
                                  at               BURRITO to go ... with