On 2009-05-11, "Wu, Yue" <vano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 12:13:54AM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> > I think mutt's logic makes excellent sense .. Especially in this list, I
> > routinely get mail that I couldn't care less about .. from regular
> > posters I know are past redemption..
> >
> > I don't see why I should go to the trouble of having to delete their
> > contributions.
> >
> > I don't have much time, so I ignore them.
> >
> > I feel mutt's logic is 100% correct.. telling me there are _new_ posts
> > on top of stuff I intially couldn't be bothered to delete and not take
> > into account whatever garbage I didn't have the time & patience to get
> > rid of.
>
> Say, I have many mailboxes that have many new messages, but now I have no so
> much time to see all of them, so I quickly enter mailboxes one by one, then
> just pick the message I'm got most of interested, leave the remaining messges
> for viewing them when I have time.  Serveral hours later, I have time, I want
> to see the new messages that I haven't seen last time, but now, all mailboxes
> haven't any flags, so I have to go through all of them to see if there are new
> message in them or not.

I often read my mail the same way.  I have two mutt installations
that I use regularly.  At home, I use Cygwin's mutt-1.4.2.2i which
happens to have been built with +BUFFY_SIZE.  At work, I use a
version (on Linux) built from the mutt development repository that
is slightly newer than 1.5.18 and for which I have 'check_mbox_size'
set.  I use mbox mailboxes on both systems.  Both behave the same
with respect to this problem.

When I start mutt and open the browser, any mailboxes containing
unread messages are tagged with 'N'.  When I open one of these
mailboxes and read the new messages I'm interested in at the time,
mutt removes the 'N' flag from that mailbox.  This is a good thing
because it tells me I have visited this mailbox.  If that mailbox
later receives another new message, mutt alerts me and marks the
mailbox with an 'N'.  Again good.

If later in the day I've read all the interesting new mail, so that
mutt's browser shows no mailboxes with an 'N', but I want to revisit
those mailboxes that contain unread mail, I simply exit mutt and
restart it.  The browser now shows all mailboxes containing unread
mail with an 'N'.

If that's the behavior you want, any you're using mutt version
1.5.15 or newer with mbox-style mailboxes, you might try setting
'check_mbox_size' in your muttrc and see if that helps.

Regards,
Gary