On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:03:39AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Wu, Yue <vano...@gmail.com> [05-11-09 01:38]:
> > On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 12:13:54AM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > I feel mutt's logic is 100% correct.. telling me there are _new_ posts
> > > on top of stuff I intially couldn't be bothered to delete and not take
> > > into account whatever garbage I didn't have the time & patience to get
> > > rid of.
> >
> > Say, I have many mailboxes that have many new messages, but now I have
> > no so much time to see all of them, so I quickly enter mailboxes one
> > by one, then just pick the message I'm got most of interested, leave
> > the remaining messges for viewing them when I have time.  Serveral
> > hours later, I have time, I want to see the new messages that I
> > haven't seen last time, but now, all mailboxes haven't any flags, so I
> > have to go through all of them to see if there are new message in them
> > or not.
>
> The individual messages are still "flagged" as net but the mbox
> container files is not.  You have lost nothing except a notice that
> the "container" is not "new".

This is exactly what the OP was complaining about, and I completely
agree with him.  It's highly inconvenient, if you have a lot of mbox
folders with unread e-mail in them, to go back and figure out which
ones you care about.  NO OTHER MAILER HAS THIS PROBLEM, as far as I
know...  Mutt behaves as the OP (and I, and lots of other people)
expect if maildir is used, but there are valid reasons not to use
maildir, and mutt's behavior should be consistent regardless of
selected mailbox format.

This probably should not be very difficult to fix, at least part way;
you could either use the header cache, or add a flag to the structure
representing a visited mbox mailbox, to mark a folder containing
unread mail as needing to be visited.

That doesn't solve it for mailboxes which Mutt hasn't visited yet
(i.e. after starting up if you're using the flag, or when there is no
header cache if you're using that).  It strikes me that you'd need to
make Mutt threaded in order to parse unvisited mailboxes in the
background; but I don't know how other mailers handle checking for
unread mail on start-up.  I just know that every mailer I've ever used
other than Mutt gets it right.

-=-=-=-=-