Hi,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:52:20PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> * Christoph Ludwig wrote:
> > > 1) Is there a way to define custom mailbox shortcuts so I don't have to
> > > type
> > > in the full imaps URL every time I switch to a folder on the company
> > > server?
> > > The only workaround I see after reading section 4.7 of the manual is to
> > > define
> > > a number of aliases with fake addresses and make the folders on the
> > > company
> > > server the default save folder for these aliases. However, this seems a
> > > crude
> > > hack to me.
>
> > I realized that binding the base URL to a key in the editor does exactly
> > what
> > I want:
>
> >   macro editor '#'
> > "imaps://company\\christoph\\christoph.lud...@company-dn/"
>
> Uh, that sounds the perfect use case for $folder. Have you looked at it?

I am already using $folder for my private account. I often move mail between
the various servers because the line between private and company email is
often blurred and I want to store email that I receive in the account on the
company server and vice versa or jump directly into a folder on the other
server.

So now I type "=Abo.mutt-user" or "#Projects/someProject" and mutt
automatically knows which folder on which server I refer to, no matter on
which server the current folder is. Do you see any issue with this approach
that a more sophisticated use of $folder (possibly in combination with
folder-hooks) could avoid?

> > > 2) mutt checks for mail in the company mailbox only after I logged into
> > > the
> > > mailbox at least once and therefore entered my password. Is there a way to
> > > make mutt request the passwords for all accounts referenced in the
> > > mailboxes
> > > list at program start? I don't want to put the passwords in a
> > > configuration
> > > file.
>
> Please have a look at the $imap_passive option.

Thanks! It shows that it was several years ago that I last read the mutt
manual from front to back...

Christoph