On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 03:02:40PM +0200, Michael Ludwig wrote:
> Michael Ludwig schrieb am 23.06.2010 um 14:23 (+0200):
> > Christian Ebert schrieb am 22.06.2010 um 23:16 (+0200):
> > > * Michael Ludwig on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 22:27:06 +0200

> > > I'm using Maildir, but
> > >
> > > set check_mbox_size=yes
> >
> > I presume the underlying issue is that atime (access time) is turned off
> > or otherwise unavailable on some filesystems, so Mutt cannot use it to
> > detect new mail in a box. Is that correct?
>
> Yes, appears to be correct:
>
> http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Folder
>
>   Why are "new" flags of mbox folders wrong in folder-list view?
>
> Bottom line:
>
> * $check_mbox_size option for mutt 1.5.15 or later
> * --enable-buffy-size option to "configure" for mutt < 1.5.15

Presumably this can only work when mail is added to an existing
mailbox? If so it would be close to useless for my situation:-

    Lots of incoming mailboxes, one for each mailing list I'm
    subscribed to.

    I have 'set save_empty=no' so that empty mailboxes disappear, it
    means I don't have to clear up after I unsubscribe from a list.
    (and it's one of the reasons I want to stay with mbox)

    I don't keep mailing list mail in the incoming mailboxes, anything
    I want to keep is moved elsewhere, so even active mailing list
    inboxes get empty (and thus removed) fairly regularly.

Anyway my fix in the filter program of setting the modified time a few
seconds in the future seems to work a treat.

--
Chris Green