On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:30:18PM +0200, Michael Williams wrote:
following on from problems getting a new Exchange 2010 server to play nice with mutt's
SMTP support (http://marc.info/?l=mutt-users&m=128493280217503&w=2), I have now
encountered a problem with IMAP access to the same server. This problem is unique to
mutt and is not displayed by other mail clients (which proves that I haven't missed
something completely basic, but does not necessarily mean the problem is mutt and not
the server!)

I can connect fine, and read the INBOX fine, and I seem to be able to change into
small mailboxes < 2000 messages. By change I mean, I can select the mailbox in
mutt and after a delay while it downloads the message headers, the mutt list view
shows the contents of the folder.

However, for larger mailboxes, when I attempt to change, mutt only gets as far
as saying

        Fetching message headers... 3320/3391 (97%)

which remains unchanged for ~5 minutes before I give up. Curiously, the
.muttdebug log looks normal. The last few lines are

        Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:18:35 +0100

        4< )
        parse_parameters: `charset="US-ASCII"; format=flowed; delsp=yes'
        parse_parameter: `charset' = `US-ASCII'
        parse_parameter: `format' = `flowed'
        parse_parameter: `delsp' = `yes'
        4< a0011 OK FETCH completed.
        IMAP queue drained

Can you do a spot check and see if there are missing FETCH respones? You should see lines like:

        * 1 FETCH ...
        * 2 FETCH ...
        * 3 FETCH ...

We've seen some servers which seem to lie about how many messages there are in the EXISTS response, and Mutt is currently incapabable of handing the case where it doesn't get all FETCH responses.

I'm not sure how other MUAs handle this.

me