On 10/23/10 16:06, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

[snip]

As I mentioned before, I haven't had to install private copies of the
root CA certificate myself, but as far as I understand the following
should work:

 * clear out the files currently in ~/.mutt/cert (you can save them
   somewhere else if you like)

Done that

 * Go to
    https://www.geotrust.com/resources/root-certificates/index.html
   and download the base-64 encoded version of the "Root 1 - Equifax
   Secure Certificate Authority" certificate.  Save it into a file
   in your ~/.mutt/cert/ directory with the extension ".pem".
   ("Equifax_Secure_CA.pem" is the name used in Debian).

Done

 * run "c_rehash ." within that cert directory.  That should
   create a symlink named 594f1775.0 pointing to the .pem file.

Though my link was named: 578d5c04.0 -> Equifax_Secure_CA.pem

At that point, your .fetchmailrc line of

 poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns user
'syscon...@gmail.com' password 'xxxxxxxxxxx' options ssl sslcertck sslcertpath
/home/joseph/.mutt/cert/

should work.  (Note that you do need the @gmail.com part on the
username, since GMail supports 'hosted' domains as well;
'syscon...@example.com' would be a different GMail user.)

poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns user 'syscon780' password
'xxxxxx' options ssl sslcertck sslcertpath '/home/joseph/.mutt/cert/'

does not work :-/ I get:
fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer
certificate
fetchmail: This means that the root signing certificate (issued for /C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority) is not in the trusted CA certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page.
24895:error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed:s3_clnt.c:982:
fetchmail: SSL connection failed.
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from syscon...@pop.gmail.com
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

I'm not very familiar with Gentoo, but a quick Google search turned up
the ca-certificates ebuild:

I had this package installed, anyhow, I reinstall it clean up some old links and even pointing to this directory '/etc/ssl/certs' for certificate does not help.
poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns user 'syscon780' password
'xxxxxx' options ssl sslcertck sslcertpath '/etc/ssl/certs'

 http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-misc/ca-certificates
, which seems to be based off the Debian package of the same name.  So I
suspect if you installed that ebuild you'd find that the
Equifax_Secure_CA.pem file was already installed on your system, and
that you could skip the ~/.mutt/certs/ directory and the "sslcertpath"
option in your fetchmailrc file entirely.  In addition to saving the
up-front configuration effort, the big advantage of that appoach is that
fetchmail would continue to work even if GMail switched to using a
different root CA to sign its certificates.

(If that doesn't work, though, you might have more luck finding a
solution in some more Gentoo-specific forum.)

Hope that helps.

                                                Nathan

I think I'll have to ask other Gentoo users about it.

--
Joseph