On May 05, 2011 at 01:43 PM +0100, Nick Jones wrote:
For reference, mutt (1.5.20) on my machine currently takes 11 seconds to
open my offlineimap'd Gmail 'All Mail' folder which contains 17,418
messages.  It then takes a further 6 seconds to close the mailbox, write
any changes, and then switch back to my Inbox (for example).

I've had different experiences with different folders on my Macbook (no SSD). Some large folders with 10-20k messages open up in seconds. Others can take a long time. I'm not sure what the issue is. I sent a message to the list about it a couple months ago but no one had any ideas. I don't know if the header/body caches are cleaned out properly or what, but the one time I nuked my cache, things really sped up for a couple weeks.

This is all on local maildirs.