Quoth Christoph P.U. Kukulies on Monday, 18 July 2011:
> Am 18.07.2011 12:20, schrieb Christian Brabandt:
> >On Mon, July 18, 2011 9:45 am, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> >>Hi.
> >>I'm running Mutt 1.5.20 (2009-06-14) under Ubuntu and was wondering why
> >>mutt couldn't cope with
> >>some mail I got, containing an attachment, named winmail.dat (MS Outlook).
> >>
> >>Mutt wasn't able to unpack the two JPG files that were packed into that
> >>winmail.dat container.
> >>I asked the friend to send the same email to another account where I hat
> >>thunderbird (5.0) and I was able to
> >>see the attachments (JPGs) without seeing something of winmail.dat at all.
> >>
> >>Also forwarding the mail from mutt to the other account didn't help. I
> >>then saw a winmail.dat
> >>as an attachment and TB didn't know what to do with it.
> >->   I     1 <no description>            [text/plain, quoted,
> >iso-8859-1, 0,2K]
> >     A     2 winmail.dat                        [applica/ms-tnef,
> >base64, 5,5M]
> >

> Thanks, hope you don't mind me sending this back to the list.
>
> I got this "tnef"-package. What would now be the steps to make mutt to
> recognize an attachment
> named winmail.dat and use"tnef" to unpack it and show me the attachments
> when I "v" the email.
>
> At present it looks like this:
> ->   I     1 <no description>            [text/plain, quoted,
> iso-8859-1, 0,2K]
>      A     2 winmail.dat                        [applica/ms-tnef,
> base64, 5,5M]
>
> I'd rather have it look like showing the IM000xx.JPG files or whatever
> winmail.dat is hiding to me.
>
> --
> Christoph

Personally, I use the 'v' function to view the contents of the tnef file
rather than to unpack it.  Thusly in .mailcap:

application/ms-tnef;            tnef -t %s; copiousoutput; needsterminal;

Then, in .muttrc I map Ctrl+t in the attachments menu to unpack the
attachment into a special folder (~/Mail/attach) so I can then go view
the attachments from the shell:

macro attach \Ct "|tnef --overwrite -C ~/Mail/attach\n" "Unpack TNEF attachment"

I suppose it would be possible to create a macro that does the unpack and
view all contents all in one step, but that's going too far down the
"automatically trust anything you get in an email" road for my tastes.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterl...@camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com