Hi all,

Recently I switched to Mutt 1.5.21 from latest 1.4, mostly so I could use
gpgme backend for GnuPG instead of the old command based one.

Everything works fine except for the weird behaviour when I try to
encrypt email: Mutt keeps asking me to manually select the recipient key
ID via 'Enter keyID for em...@example.com' prompt.  I tried entering the
key ID in all possible formats but apparently it just ignores the input
and keeps asking.  After I break from it with Ctrl-g, I get the
following error: 'gpgme_new failed: Not operational'.

Of course, the recipient key is present on the keyring, the email in 'To'
field matches the one in the UID field of the key etc.  None of this ever
happened in 1.4.x.

The key in question wasn't signed yet (I haven't validated it), so I
tried signing it with level 1 (i.e. 'I haven't verified the key at all'
level) just to see if the signature makes any difference and it didn't
work.  Likewise, when I tried with a level 0 or 2 signature (which are
accepted by GnuPG as valid in my and the default configuration).  I
tried the same thing with other recipients--same story.  Basically, I cannot
encrypt any email.  Note that verifying signatures made by these, or any
other keys works (so GnuPG is definitely aware of them and Mutt can, in
principle, select them).

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?  I tried searching,
but haven't found anything other than people having similar problems with
'Enter keyID' prompt not accepting manually entered key IDs but nothing
specific to my problem.

I'm running Mutt with GnuPG 2.0.18 on FreeBSD 8.2 (now actually on
8.3-BETA1, but it doesn't make a difference) with the following
Crypto and PGP options in muttrc:

set crypt_autosign=yes
set crypt_autosmime=no
set crypt_replysignencrypted=yes
set crypt_use_gpgme=yes
set pgp_auto_decode=yes
set pgp_show_unusable=no

mutt -v output:

Mutt 1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: FreeBSD 8.3-BETA1 (i386)
ncurses: ncurses 5.7.20081102 (compiled with 5.7)
libiconv: 1.13
libidn: 1.22 (compiled with 1.22)
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE  -USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_SMTP
+USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  +USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  +CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-...@mutt.org>.
To report a bug, please visit http://bugs.mutt.org/.

patch-1.5.0.ats.date_conditional.1
dgc.deepif.1

--
If at first you don't succeed, quit; don't be a nut about success.