On 2012-04-11 at 12:58 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> It may not be applicable, but back before I switched to usnig
> gmane for reading mailing lists, I used a procmail script to
> sort mailing list postings into their own folders and ran the
> messages through formail to remove the tags.

I keep the information about my mailing lists in a file similar
to what Chris Green described in this thread.  In order to
prevent overzealous munging I use a sed script generated from it
to remove the subject prefixes.

After a quick glance over formail's manual page I was not able
to see how one could use it to edit the contents of a header
field -- only to add or remove complete header fields.  Would
you mind sharing your configuration?

> These days I leave all my mail on an IMAP server, so
> that approach wouldn't really work unless I could run
> procmail/formail on the server.

If your IMAP server is able to run Sieve scripts you could try
to pull off something similar with it.

Regards,
Sebastian