On 2012-04-12, Sebastian Schwarz <sesch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-04-11 at 12:58 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> It may not be applicable, but back before I switched to usnig
>> gmane for reading mailing lists, I used a procmail script to
>> sort mailing list postings into their own folders and ran the
>> messages through formail to remove the tags.
>
> I keep the information about my mailing lists in a file similar
> to what Chris Green described in this thread.  In order to
> prevent overzealous munging I use a sed script generated from it
> to remove the subject prefixes.
>
> After a quick glance over formail's manual page I was not able
> to see how one could use it to edit the contents of a header
> field -- only to add or remove complete header fields.  Would
> you mind sharing your configuration?

That was many, many years ago (I've been using gmane.org for a long
time), and I don't have the procmail files any more.  But after a
quick glance at formail's man page, it looks like the '-I' option lets
you replace a header field.  IIRC the procmail delivery line just
called formail and passed it the -I option with the new subject line
(created with sed probably).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm having a
                                  at               tax-deductible experience!