On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:27:19PM +0100, Holger Weiß wrote:
> * David Young <dyo...@pobox.com> [2012-11-20 11:59]:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:42:13PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> > > Take some responsibility for yourself and your content. Post like a man
> > > not
> > > a webbot.
> >
> > I cannot believe people are still hewing to this old line.  It's like
> > thousands of people fell asleep at their teletypes (I mean the kind that
> > printed on paper) in the 1970s and woke up in 2012.
>
> The point is not supporting teletypes (though I do print emails to paper
> quite regularly in 2012), but readability.  Extending the line length to
> more than 70 or 80 characters significantly reduces readability.

Of course the point is not supporting teletypes.  But if the point
is readability, why uphold the readability conventions from another
time, medium, and technology like nothing has changed in email content,
volume, or the variety and capabilities of clients?

Dave

--
David Young
dyo...@pobox.com    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981