On 2012-11-23, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 06:17:27PM +0000, Tony's unattended mail wrote:
>> > At this time, the generally accepted assumption is to wrap at around
>> > 72--76 characters
>>=20
>> Right.. one million smokers can't be wrong.
>
> It's been pointed out that this number comes from scientific studies
> regarding the ergonomics of reading.

Sure, but not in what I quoted and responded to for which you're now
responding.  You bring a new argument.

BTW, sending a variable width format allows for 72 character
rendering, so these dated ergonomics studies are not at odds with an
unwrapped source text anyway.

Moreover, you would be hard-pressed to find a study that concludes the
same when the display device is a smartphone.  Blindly accepting
studies without consideration to their time period and other artifacts
might have you flipping your smartphone sideways to attempt to achieve
72 characters in a reasonable font, but I think you'll be
disappointed with the results.

>  So the one million smokers argument is a red herring.

Nonsense.  Calling out a fallacy (bandwagon in this case) is not a red
herring any more than the original comment is a red herring.  A
general majority may accept a particular ideology, that does not mean
it carries merit.  You'll have to find another way to claim merit to
the idea.