* Marco <net...@lavabit.com> [12-20-12 16:59]:
> On 2012–12–20 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>
> > I would guess that "buffy" has reset the file asscess time for .beta and
> > that is what mutt uses to determin new mail.....
> >
> > to prove, check the time of "new.mail" before buffy and after...
>
> I just checked using the “Access”, “Modify” and “Change” time of the
> mailbox “.beta” and it's set to the date when I created the mailbox
> several weeks ago. Probably because nothing in this directory
> changed. It contains the sub-directories “cur”, “new” and “tmp” with
> a new message in the “new” directory with a recent modification
> time.
>
> I explained it wrong. “buffy-list” does not cause
> “next-unread-mailbox” to fail. I can press “.” (buffy-list), then
> “>” (next-unread-mailbox) and it still jumps to the next unread
> mailbox. But when I once enter the mailbox and leave it without
> reading any mail, “buffy-list” still is aware of the new mail,
> “next-unread-mailbox” however is not and will not jump.

mutt determins, iirc, new mail by access time.  You access the mail box
and leave, then expect mutt to still show new mail.  That is not "how it
works", aiui.

> Since there is a file in the mailbox “new” directory (.beta/new)
> mutt should be able to tell that there's new mail regardless of the
> modification time. Even if mutt uses the modification time, why do
> the commands “buffy-list” and “next-unread-mailbox” don't share the
> same opinion if I have any new mail?

not "how it works!".

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member