On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 08:45:49AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 20Dec2012 21:55, Woody Wu <narkewo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> | On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:29:25PM +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
> | > Is the 'sourcing' means the same thing as that in bash script?  I write
> | > '. ~/.mail_aliases' in the .muttrc, but mutt said it's an syntax error.
> |
> | sorry for the stupid asking, I found out its 'source ~/.mail_aliases'.
> | Please forget this question.
>
> It is nice to see someone spelling "source" as "." in the shell. Too
> many people use the new fangled long word:-)
>
> | > On the hand, I found my .muttrc has some default alias definitions like
> | > what you guy said. For example:
> | >
> | >     alias mutt-users Mutt User List <mutt-users@mutt.org>
> | >
> | > I tried to use this alias by pressing <tab> after I inputted words
> | > 'mutt-users' after the 'To:' header in mutt.  But I still got nothing.
> | > Is there something to do with my message editor? Here it is vim.
> |
> | This still doesn't work.  I tried to remove my vimrc file and all the
> | locally installed plugins. I still cannot use the <tab> :(  What's wrong
> | with my system?
>
> As Christian said, vim itself is not aware of mutt stuff (unless you
> tell it; I do not know how, myself).
>
> The tab completion for aliases probably only works in the message setup.
> It sounds like you have:
>
>   set autoedit=yes
>   set edit_headers=yes
>
> so that mutt drops you straight into the whole message to edit. That is
> how I work also. When you quit the editor, but before typing "y" to send
> the message, you are in a mode showing TO and CC and Subject and
> attachments etc.
>
> At that point to can type "t" to edit the TO line or "c" to edit the CC
> line and so forth. I think the <TAB> completion for aliases will word
> then, editing those fields.
>
> So:
>   - exit editor
>   - type "t" to edit to To: header
>   - type <TAB> to complete - having no alias it will enter the alias
>     menu for you to select an alias; if you type the start of an alias
>     it will complete, or enter to menu if ambiguous
>   - after editing the header, type "e" to return to editing the message

Now I understand the way to go, and it works!  Many thanks Cameron.

If you still have time, here is another question :)  Instead of editing
the .mail_aliase file by hand, does mutt support this by somehow
automatically add an aliase to me when I is viewing a new message? I
guess there should be a way but realy cannt find it in the mutt user
guide.

> If someone knows how to write vim ":" commands to make vim do <TAB>
> completion, I can probably write a short script to read a mutt alias file
> (or any filter with mutt alias commands in it) and emit vim commands to
> match, to go in a vimrc file somewhere. That might get to alias expansion
> inside vim.

I belive there is a vim plug that can do word completion when you press
tab in a, for example, c langue file. I don't remember the name of the
plugin and also not sure it can be modified to let it query mutt
aliases.

--
woody
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.