On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 03:41:58AM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 01:47:24PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >
> > I have added:-
> >     bind    index   n next-unread-mailbox
> >
> > ... and now I can find new mail in all my (mbox) mailboxes without any
> > stupid requirements for setting access times or whatever to the files.
> > I always thought it should be simple and it is!
>
> Thanks for the heads up, it is handy to know.
>
> > Why isn't this the default set-up for mutt?
>
> Don't know. It could be the way people handle mail, e.g. Do you leave
> all your snail mail in your letter box and just read the interesting
> letters or do you bring in all your mail at once and deal with it in one
> sitting, or do you ...

Either way, unless I get a particular sort of letterbox with a
particularly helpful postman, I never get to *know* if there's any new
mail with the equivalent of 'c' (the default) whereas I will always find
new mail with 'n', even though I'll occasionally find old circulars I
should have thrown away.

> If it is slower, then that might be a good reason why it is not the
> default. In all honestly though, I think people may complain if it was
> made the default, simply because the majority of people are only
> interested in reading new mail. They are probably aware they have old
> unread mail lying around but don't want to be consistently reminded all
> the time.

*I'm* interested in reading new mail, 'c' doesn't find it all except
with certain types of mailboxes and/or certain other specific settings.

--
Chris Green