* On 25 Jan 2013, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from horseriver:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:17:27PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * horseriver <horseriv...@gmail.com> [01-25-13 13:24]:
> > >
> > > mutt reads mail
> > > mda delivers mail
> > > mta transfers mail
> > >
> > > fetchmail gets mail, is a mda
>
> Why are you not reading the suggested documentation?  Patrick's advice
> is spot on.  All of your questions so far are easily answered by the
> suggested docs.

I hope this will be my only meta-post on this thread, but I think there
are two critical flaws with the hard-nosed RTFM response:

1. synthesizing the information among multiple sources of documentation
can be difficult.  I have no reason to think that horseriver hasn't
read the docs; only that he doesn't possess the big picture (yet).
Oftentimes this integration of facts into understanding is best provided
by other people, and a support mailing list is a good place to ask for
that.

2. While you find these questions occupying space in your inbox
wasteful, I find non-answers wasteful.  If all you have to say is RTFM,
do it privately.  Doing it in public does not add anything to the public
body of knowledge.

> No, mail is an MUA just like mutt.  Now, you're becoming annoying.  At
> a terminal, do this:
>
>    xman -notopbox -bothshown &
>
> That's a pointy-clicky interface to the manpages.  Now PLEASE read
> some documentation!

"Pointy-clicky", really?  People may become annoying, but one can remain
polite instead of imputing attributes which you find mockable.

I've spent considerable time being an ass on mailing lists, and I'm a
much happier person since I've (largely) given it up.

--
David Champion • d...@bikeshed.us