On May 07, 2013 at 02:53 PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
What other search programs work well with mutt?

I used mairix long ago. I think notmuch [1] and mu [2] are superior. I used to think notmuch had more going for it compared to mu, but I've since settled on mu in the last year or two and have been very happy with it.

If you use screen, there is a nice script called muttjump [3] that you can bind to a key combo to find the original message. It's pretty nice. The basic premise is that after you make a folder with your symlinked search results, you can run this script and it will find the original message in the original maildir. Then it will open a new terminal in screen, load mutt, and take you to that maildir and message.

As some others have pointed out, I think there a program called grepmail that might be useful. Personally, I have so many messages that running a live search like that would take forever, so I prefer to have my mail pre-indexed by mu.

[1]: http://notmuchmail.org
[2]: http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/
[3]: https://github.com/weisslj/muttjump