I'll reply to rest of email later, but I want to make two things
clear.

First, you accuse me of being intellectually dishonest, because I
«attempt to ascribe» to you a scenario I thought up. I was (and am)
not, but since that seems not to have been clear enough, I'll try to
explain it more carefully. You wrote that

> We use an editor to create the text for an email, so it needs to
> read and write the encrypted postponed file - mutt is not
> involved, beyond finding the file for the editor. On the other
> hand, we use mutt to read received emails - no editor is involved
> normally. So your postulate is false, due to there being no
> connection between the two processes.

And you wrote this to justify why the drafts should be encrypted by
the editor instead of mutt. So now suppose (*my* scenario, not
yours) that mutt used an external program to view emails, and, we
were discussing adding the feature of viewing encrypted emails to
mutt. By a reasoning *similar* to yours, i.e. reasoning in a
way coherent to yours, what would the conclusion be? Well, that
because "mutt is not involved" in the process of viewing the email,
decryption should happen within the external viewer, not mutt! See
what I did here? My scenario, your reasoning. This is what I meant
by "by your own logic". If you still can't understand it, and think
it's me being intellectually dishonest, then I give up: I cannot put
it into simpler terms.

By the way, this is not a straw man, because I have not replaced the
question, which is were should encryption or decryption happen (in
mutt or an outside program). I took the reasoning you used in the
case of drafts, and applied it to a hypothetical but possible
scenario, to show you how it led to an undesirable conclusion. The
only cause I can imagine for you to describe doing so as dishonest, is
if you would apply a different reasoning for that different
scenario. But then I'm left wandering why couldn't that different
reasoning by applied to the drafts' case...

Second, some parts of your email seem to suggest that you regard
using the editor to encrypt the draft as the possible solution,
rather than as the right one. I agree -- and as the original poster,
thank you for it. But then you go on (or seem to go on) trying to
justify using the editor as the proper solution, and proceed to do
what seems to me as defending its merits (besides being the possible
solution). Could you clarify which one are you trying to do?

--Óscar

--
Óscar Pereira  |  https://erroneousthoughts.org

Rules of Optimisation:
Rule 1: Don't do it.
Rule 2 (for experts only): Don't do it yet.
                  -- M.A. Jackson