On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 11:05:16AM -0500, Dale Raby wrote:
> If it's sensitive
> > enough to be encrypted outgoing, it's sensitive enough to be
> > encrypted on disk... even if you haven't actually sent it yet.
> >

> Well, its easy enough to encrypt the whole disk with modern OS's, so
> if the message is on your machine it could be made pretty secure with
> no real extra effort beyond setting it up initially for an encrypted
> disk.

You make it sound like there's no downside to doing this...  There is:
performance.  So whether or not this makes sense as a solution very
much depends on your workstation's (that's a hint) use case.

> I dunno though, why would you want to store a sensitive draft any
> longer than you need to?

The key to that sentence is the last part...

> Encrypted messages should be as concise as possible

Who says?  What if what you're encrypting is a draft of a paper?  You
needed to send it to your boss/colleague/editor anyway, and your
e-mail client will encrypt your postponed message (or so you might
think, and so may it be, if that were implemented), so why should you
care?

Your entire message makes a lot of assumtions which may be just plain
wrong.

-=-=-=-=-