On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 01:47:39AM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> Yes, that is what I (perhaps too briefly) alluded to in the paragraph
> quoted above. Writing to that tmp file is entirely under editor control,
> with mutt providing only a temporary filename and a transparent pipe.

And in so doing it exerts control over that process; moreover it does
all this with one purpose in mind: creating an e-mail message.  Your
editor generally neither knows nor cares about that fact, but it is an
important one to the overall process.

> I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that something which might provide
> immediate draft file security would be welcome enough to be worth
> examining.

It's worth examining.  But it depends on a feature in your editor
which likely does not exist (unless you happen to pick one that has
it--and many people detest vi/vim/emacs).

Perhaps a better way to do this would be for Mutt to provide the
editor a named pipe, and then read the file from that rather than an
on-disk temp file.  But as this temp file should normally be very
short-lived (there's really no good reason to write it out manually as
you did in your example), the risk of leaking the data is minimal.
And if the user really is concerned about someoene stealing the disk
and getting at the deleted clear text, then they probably should
indeed use full disk encryption (or something like it).  But that is a
decision that should be left to the user.

But none of this substantially affects whether Mutt should encrypt
postponed messages.

-=-=-=-=-