I confess I haven't dug my way through the entire debate on this, but so
far I've seen argument along lines of: is it a necessary feature? if it
is necessary, is it necessary to be supported in mutt per se, or can it
be done externally?

I haven't seen any discussion of what use models it would harm to
support this in mutt.  Does anyone have an argument against?

Lacking that, I would say that if someone submits a good patch it should
be considered.  To me it's a good enhancement request.

(I can take the old "features are bloat, one tool for one job" trope for
granted, but I don't find it very compelling in general and especially
not in this case, where almost all the code necessary is already there
in some fashion.)

--
David Champion • d...@bikeshed.us