(Looks like my message didn't go through because of my example image
attachment.  I thought it was small enough, resending without it.)

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 03:48:17AM -0400, Xu Wang wrote:

> > Being able to search emails from within mutt is really convenient.  On
> > top of that, I can access my emails using other applications because of
> > notmuch, e.g. I can link to emails from my notes in Org mode (an Emacs
> > major mode).  I also have a few scripts that integrate easy access to
> > emails with my work flow.  I also use a notmuch search based addressbook
> > with mutt.  I cannot see any of this being possible without the search
> > capability offered by notmuch.
>
> Why not use message-ID and link to that? How does this linking to
> emails work better with mutt-kz?

What do you mean?  How can you link to a message by message-id without a
search?  Notmuch allows you to do exactly that.

For example, I can link to your message (the one I'm responding to), in
Org mode as:

[[notmuch:id:cajhtkniqftd+6ufzq1lthtav2mw5267usud9xg2jjazzzva...@mail.gmail.com][Email
 from Xu Wang: Re: options for mutt + notmuch]]

This is rendered in Emacs as:

  Email from Xu Wang: Re: options for mutt + notmuch

in a special highlighted face so that I know it's a link and I can
follow it with RET or left click.  I could also link to the whole thread

[[notmuch-search:thread:0000000000009981][Thread on mutt + notmuch on
mutt-users]]

or maybe something like this:

[[notmuch-search:subject:"options%2520for%2520mutt%2520+%2520notmuch"][Thread
on mutt-users: subject:"options for mutt + notmuch"]]

Of course this is redundant for mailing list emails, since we have
public archives, but for private emails, this is invaluable.

I would suggest you give notmuch a try and find it for yourself rather
than ask.  I cannnot possibly foresee how you could integrate emails,
and searching emails into your workflow.  I don't even know what is your
profession!  Emails are my primary medium of collaboration.  So this
kind of integration is invaluable to me.

Hope this helps,

PS: I have attached a screenshot of an Org buffer with notmuch links

--
Suvayu