On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:24 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Looks like my message didn't go through because of my example image
> attachment.  I thought it was small enough, resending without it.)
>
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 03:48:17AM -0400, Xu Wang wrote:
>> >
>> > Being able to search emails from within mutt is really convenient.  On
>> > top of that, I can access my emails using other applications because of
>> > notmuch, e.g. I can link to emails from my notes in Org mode (an Emacs
>> > major mode).  I also have a few scripts that integrate easy access to
>> > emails with my work flow.  I also use a notmuch search based addressbook
>> > with mutt.  I cannot see any of this being possible without the search
>> > capability offered by notmuch.
>>
>> Why not use message-ID and link to that? How does this linking to
>> emails work better with mutt-kz?
>
> What do you mean?  How can you link to a message by message-id without a
> search?

Well, I meant changing to the "All mail" folder and then using mutt
limit to the message id. But this is more complicated because one has
to change folder before limiting.

> Notmuch allows you to do exactly that.
>
> For example, I can link to your message (the one I'm responding to), in
> Org mode as:
>
> [[notmuch:id:cajhtkniqftd+6ufzq1lthtav2mw5267usud9xg2jjazzzva...@mail.gmail.com][Email
>  from Xu Wang: Re: options for mutt + notmuch]]
>
> This is rendered in Emacs as:
>
>   Email from Xu Wang: Re: options for mutt + notmuch
>
> in a special highlighted face so that I know it's a link and I can
> follow it with RET or left click.  I could also link to the whole thread
>
> [[notmuch-search:thread:0000000000009981][Thread on mutt + notmuch on
> mutt-users]]
>
> or maybe something like this:
>
> [[notmuch-search:subject:"options%2520for%2520mutt%2520+%2520notmuch"][Thread
> on mutt-users: subject:"options for mutt + notmuch"]]
>
> Of course this is redundant for mailing list emails, since we have
> public archives, but for private emails, this is invaluable.
>
> I would suggest you give notmuch a try and find it for yourself rather
> than ask.  I cannnot possibly foresee how you could integrate emails,
> and searching emails into your workflow.  I don't even know what is your
> profession!  Emails are my primary medium of collaboration.  So this
> kind of integration is invaluable to me.

I have taken your advice and have now set up mutt-kz. I have one
question. Suppose I have a message id. How can I have a command that
starts mutt and have it show that message (i.e. run the notmuch search
query and show results)?

Thank you for your continuing guidance and encouragement, Suvayu.

Best regads,

Xu