On 2015-05-26 11:59 -0400, Xu Wang wrote:

Dan> You can generate your own valid message-id, and all subsequent
Dan> systems should preserve it. Does that solve your problem?

Dan> Just make sure you follow the format and that it is unique.

Xu> Yes that would solve my problem, if I could do that from the compose
Xu> menu. I would prefer to trust mutt to do that correctly rather than
Xu> myself. But if that is the best option then I would like to look
Xu> into it.

You don't have to do it manually.  Here's what I added just yesterday to
my .muttrc:

# Mutt built-in Message-ID algo is pretty lame
my_hdr Message-ID: <`mutt-message-id`>

Where the /usr/local/bin/mutt-message-id script writes a unique string
on its output.  If you need to save it for some purpose your script can
do that too.

(I hope nobody takes offense </grin>)