Hi Erik!

On Fr, 18 Sep 2015, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 18.09.15 09:47, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> >
> > On Fr, 18 Sep 2015, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> >
> > > So, in .vimrc, something vaguely like:
> > >
> > > au BufNewFile,BufRead   ~/Desktop/mutt-*   call Set_for_mutt()
> > [...]
> >
> > You don't need that autocommand. Simply create a file
> > ~/.vim/ftplugin/mail.vim and put all mutt related stuff there and
> > add an entry :filetype plugin  to your .vimrc
>
> Thanks Christian, for the alternative implementation, but I don't need
> ~/.vim/ftplugin/mail.vim when I can equally easily do it in .vimrc.

I guess taste matters. I used to think the same, until my vimrc grew too
long and complex. Then I started to use folding but even then it started
to get confusing eventually. So I am now using the proposed Vim way.

If I need to configure my mail configuration, I have everything in my
folder ~/.vim/ftplugin/mail/
Python? ~/.vim/ftplugin/python.vim
C?    ~/.vim/ftplugin/c.vim

(Okay additionally there is the after/ folder, which complicates things
a bit again)

> > Keeps your .vimrc cleaner.
>
> Keeping everything vim-related in one config file is _waaaay_ cleaner.
> Cluttering the filesystem with a swarm of files seems untidy, and is a
> good way to leave config behind when moving to a new installation/OS
> upgrade, I figure.

Is there much of a difference of backing up ~/.vim/ instead of ~/.vimrc?
It is basically self contained and it contains every thing for setting
up the new environment. plugins, configuration, undo-files, session
files, custom scripts, spelling files, syntax files,

Plus for larger configuration files, this will impact startup time.

I used to have my .vimrc on a Windows share. Adding some plugins made my
vim startup grow to up to several 10 of seconds. It got better, after I
moved my configuration to a local hard disk and even better, once I
removed unneeded configuration files, that have been read, although I
did not need them (like those menu files, that got loaded, although I
explicitly set :set go= Using :set go=M helped).

> I have folding enabled in .vimrc, and the mutt stuff has its own section:
>
> " Alt-O & Alt-I between files, just as ^O & ^I retrace move history:

Those things tend to break in the terminal.

> While ftplugin doubtless has some use cases, somewhere, I suspect that
> it's a bit like those tabs things in vim. I still find them a step
> backwards from just using buffers and the :bu commands. (Admittedly
> mapped, so <A-b> does :bu)

I use tabs, if I need them, and buffers if I need buffers. I don't see
how they are "backwards".

regards,
Christian
--
* BenC wonders why he has upgraded to 3.3.5-1 before teh X maintainer