When one enables Google two-step verification, one can generate
"application specific" passwords for use by programs like mutt,
offline-imap, msmtp, exim, fetchmail, etc.  I've been reading both
Google and third-party documentation on this, and can't find any
description of what "application specific" actually _means_.

Do you need different, unique passwords for mutt, imap, msmtp,
offlineimap, and all other IMAP or SMTP clients on a particular
machine?

Are you required to use the same password for mutt on all machines?
[That's what the description "app specific" seems to imply, after all
it's not "app+machine specific"].  Or is mutt on machine A considered
to be a different "app" than mutt on machine B?

I've got probably 5-6 IMAP/SMTP client apps per machine on 3 different
machines.  Am I going to need 18 different "app passwords"?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Don't hit me!!  I'm in
                                  at               the Twilight Zone!!!