On 2016-04-25, David Champion <d...@bikeshed.us> wrote:
> * On 25 Apr 2016, Grant Edwards wrote:

[regarding Google "app passwords"]

>> Do you need different, unique passwords for mutt, imap, msmtp,
>> offlineimap, and all other IMAP or SMTP clients on a particular
>> machine?
>>
>> Are you required to use the same password for mutt on all machines?
>
> No. You can create as many application-specific passwords as you need
> at https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords.  Each
> can be tagged with an application name and a device name to help you
> remember where you're using that password, but they're all equivalent.
> Google doesn't pick up on what each one is specifically being used from,
> although they may track whether passwords are being used at all.
>
> Choose your own granularity.

Thanks.  I suspected that was the case, but thought perhaps Google
might be trying to fingerprint the connection attempts to actually
identify the application and/or machine.

The Google documentation is pretty much mute on the subject, and third
party write-ups never address it either, they just provide a recipe
for making it work with one app on one machine (actually in one case
two apps on one machine, and it just stated: "create two passwords"
with no explanation).

I could have created a throw-away Gmail account and do some
experiments to figure this out, but it didn't seem like something I
wanted to do via trial-and-error on my "production" machines with my
real accounts.

I'll probaby go with a single "app password" per account per physical
machine.  Next I suppose I should figure out how to use gpg-agent so I
don't store them in plaintext.  It would be nice if I could somehow
combine ssh-agent and gpg-agent so I don't have to enter a passphrase
twice...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Now, let's SEND OUT
                                  at               for QUICHE!!