On 16.08.16 19:58, Jethro Tull wrote:
> I'm using vim as editor in mutt. I would like to find a way to dump
> the content of another email or part to a new message while being
> composed. Of course without running a new instance of mutt.

The most convenient technique for including parts of other/multiple
emails in a new composition varies with use-case. If the text is not to
be quoted, but re-used as original text, then there are several methods:

a) Within vim, use ":r filename" to include the file containing the
   desired email, then edit. If there are thousands of emails in the
   mailbox, then you're not holding your mouth right, and will have to
   delete large slabs of text, but cpu cycles are cheap.

b) Within vim: ":w", then ": e filename", then find the text you want,
   and yank it, "^" back to the composition, and paste.

c) If desiring to make it a bit more complicated, in a separate instance
   of vim, ": e filename", then find the text you want, and highlight it
   with the rodent. In the vim instance within mutt, you'll be in insert
   mode, and move the cursor into that window, then whack the middle mouse
   button.

Alternatively, when needing to quote parts of multiple posts for use in
a single reply to them all, it is convenient to tag them, perform a ';'
reply, then edit each of the quotes in vim within mutt, replying in-line
to the parts retained.

That use-case can be abused by quoting an email of your own, then
deleting the "> " quotation marks, e.g. with !Gs/^> //
That presupposes that your source email is in the same mail folder,
which is a limitation - but the method is very quick.

That's probably enough options, without looking for obscure methods.
None of them require a new instance of mutt.

Erik