When I'm in the pager and on the first message, if I accidentally press
<up> it takes me to the index, with a message of "You are on the first
message". This makes sense, but I would prefer to stay in the pager.
Similarly for pressing <down> on the last messsage, I would prefer to
stay in the pager. Is it possible to configure this?

My use case is I find it very helpful to be able to focus on one email
at a time, without knowing how many emails I have. I start mutt with:

    mutt -e "push <first-entry><Return>"

Best,

Scott