Hi Scott,

Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> When I'm in the pager and on the first message, if I accidentally press
> <up> it takes me to the index, with a message of "You are on the first
> message". This makes sense, but I would prefer to stay in the pager.
> Similarly for pressing <down> on the last messsage, I would prefer to
> stay in the pager. Is it possible to configure this?
>
> My use case is I find it very helpful to be able to focus on one email
> at a time, without knowing how many emails I have. I start mutt with:
>
>     mutt -e "push <first-entry><Return>"

I think you want the pager_stop¹ variable:

    3.169. pager_stop

    Type: boolean
    Default: no

    When set, the internal-pager will not move to the next
    message when you are at the end of a message and invoke
    the <next-page> function.

¹ http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#pager-stop

--
Todd
In my life, I have prayed but one prayer: oh Lord, make my enemies