On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 07:30:00AM +0100, steve wrote:
I think it's when I just go back from editing with vim to the pager.

Also, are you using IMAP?

Yes I do via offlineimap.

It sounds like this may be triggered by offlineimap updating while you are in the middle of composing the message.

NeoMutt checks for new mail in the pager too, but it looks like in 1.7.2 they botched the redraw-data updates, setting "max" before the index data structures were updated.

It looks like this is fixed in the latest version link posted by Jörg. However, I think it would be tricky to get Debian/Ubuntu to patch this for a non-security issue. Your best bet would be to update. Another workaround might be turning off $pager_index_lines.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy