On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 01:00:48PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 05Feb2019 22:10, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I am getting notification E-Mails from DPD which aren't handled
> > correctly by 'auto_view text/html' in my muttrc and 'text/html; lynx
> > -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html' in .mailcap.
> >
> > Presumably it's simply that there is no 'text/html' string in the
> > headers, I just get to see the raw HTML.  In fact there is the
> > following:-

> >    Subject: Your order 3179771 is due for delivery by DHL Parcel UK

> >    <!DOCTYPE HTML>
> >    <head>
> >        <!-- Define Charset -->
> >
> > So that would explain it!  Is there any way to manually ask mutt to
> > treat this as text/html?
>
> Kinda.
>
> Firstly, is that really the entirely of the relevant headers? No text/html
> or multipart/mixed? DHL are really sending HTML notifications (ugh!)
> identified as text/plain? That is a new low.

Yes!  It's the only message I've ever received (well, I've received a
couple of these from DHL recently) which has done this to me.
Everyone else's HTML (spit) E-Mail gets fed into Lynx correctly.

> (My previous low is the many senders who send multipart/mixed with either
> the HTML duplicated in the text/plain half or outright absent - empty
> text/plain half.)
>
> So: are DHL sending _only_ an text/plain section or both text/plain and
> text/html? In my experience it is usually the latter.

There's only the HTML, identified as plain!

> Scenario A: Both text/html and text/plain, but the text/plain contains HTML.
> I get this a lot. I have this in my muttrc:

Not this I think.

> Scenario B:
>
> If DHL really are sending HTML in a standalone text/plain body then you've
> got 2 choices.
>
> The first is to act when you receive the email; if you're using procmail or
> something similar to file you email you could match these messages and
> modify the Content-Type: header to say "text/html".
>
> The alternative is to match the message with mutt, and to set display_filter
> specially for this message. You could use your normal display_filter and use
> a message-hook to override it with the command from the mailcap ("lynx
> -dump").

OK, thanks, it's quite rare and, at the moment, only DHL notifications
doing this that I actually want to see the content.

--
Chris Green