On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 01:45:18PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 06:43:25AM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> I've pushed a branch up to gitlab, kevin/fcc-before-send.  It adds
> $fcc_before_send, default unset.

Obviously you don't need to listen to me, but I do want to state for
the record that I'm opposed to this change going in.  I'm sure a lot
of people will say, "Oh, it's just a config variable."  Those
who've been paying attention will realize I've consistently argued
against new config variables by default, over the last 20+ years, and
I'll restate my unwavering reasoning for that here:

Mutt already has tons of config vars, and Mutt is already a beast to
learn how to configure--I think it takes years for people to even
realize all the features Mutt has that are configurable, nevermind
getting a config that does all they want.  As such, (I believe) adding
a new config variable is inherently bad, and should only be done when
the good of having the alternative behaviors outweighs that bad.  Such
cases clearly exist, and in those cases I don't argue against them.

This is not such a case.  I believe I have demonstrated in my last
post in this thread, using sound logic, that the alternative behavior
is not only never an improvement for any of the stated concerns, but
inarguably worse for some of the relevant concerns, and as such clearly
does not outweigh the bad of making Mutt that much more unweildy to
understand and configre.  Therefore, the change should not be
committed.

-=-=-=-=-