Derek Martin wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 02:48:21PM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using mutt v.1.12.0 on freebsd-current with gpgme. In my config, mutt
> > will
> > verify clearsigned gpg sigs if the public key is on the gpg keyring.
> >
> > But if the key is unknown, mutt will say the key is unknown, and this is
> > normal and expected.
> >
> > What I want to happen is, if the key is unknown i'd like mutt to prompt
> > something like "get key y/n" or even automatically fetch the key and add
> > it to the keyring if the public key is valid.
>
> You can do this by configuring gnupg itself to do it.  You need to
> tell gnupg what key server to use (you probably already did that), and
> then you need to add the option auto-key-retrieve in gnupg.conf.
>
> --
> Derek D. Martin    http://www.pizzashack.org/   GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02
> -=-=-=-=-
> This message is posted from an invalid address.  Replying to it will result in
> undeliverable mail due to spam prevention.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

be warned though that the SKS network (where you might get keys from)
has recently been attacked by the poisoning of some high profile keys
that, if fetched and imported, will break your gnupg installation.

see the following for more information and advice:

  https://gist.github.com/rjhansen/67ab921ffb4084c865b3618d6955275f