Honestly? I just filter between addresses.

I use this address soley for mailing lists and personal emails I know won't
contain HTML and if they do it's minimal enough to use elinks for. Everything
else I just send to a collection of junk gmail accounts that act as archives
for service emails that will definitely contain junk HTML.

Maybe this helps, probably doesn't.. hope you can figure it out.