On 03Oct2020 08:51, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 02:47:46PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> >Even *copying* the whole of my 1.5Gb mail hierarchy takes only 8
>> >seconds.
>>
>> Looks like your filesystem is superior to mine. Mine's MacOS apfs, I
>> presume yours is a good Linux fs of some kind. I'd be surprised if the
>> SSD hardware were very relevant (other than being an SSD, that is).
>>
>Linux default ext4 filesystem.  It's an nvme SSD, I had a SATA SSD
>before and the improvement is *huge*!  :-) This is on fairly old
>hardware, I had to put an adapter card in the PCIExpress slot and
>play quite a few games with Grub and /boot.

That is useful to know. My Mac's a  modern 2020 model so should also
have an nvme SSD; I'm glad to hear the nvme is subjectively obviously
faster than a SATA one, I'd wondered what the difference was like.

I've been replacing the spinning rust drives in some of our old Macs
with SATA SSDs, which itself brings a huge performance difference.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>