On 21/02/13 07:56AM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 31Jan2021 21:16, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> wrote:
1)  I eventually want to migrate all of my Gmail to ProtonMail.  I will
probably never entirely get rid of Gmail.  For one thing it makes a good
honey pot for when I must supply an email, but do not want to give out my
preferred email.

Might I suggest mailinator.com for this? It's a free service which
accepts email for _any_ address @mailinator.com (and a suite of other
domains for when systems special case reject mailinator). Messages are
kept for a short preriod of time and only the text component. You can
look at them with a web browser interface. There are no passwords (so
pick a random address to avoid collisions). It is handy for
temporary-but-necessary addresses, or for "boring" addresses (vendor
spam).

Hmm.  This is a good idea.  I have heard of such services, but never have
looked them up to see what they can do or if they cost anything.

But I would like to at least minimize the data they collect on me.

I forward all email from the GMail account which is "To:" the GMail
address, to my real address c...@cskk.id.au. I do leave it behind (so
archived, not deleted) at the GMail end.

I see two routes towards this migration:  (a) Forwarding all Gmail to
ProtonMail and only have Mutt track ProtonMail.  As I get time I will
notify everyone to use my new email address.

I do that (GMail -> c...@cskk.id.au). If nothing else, there will always
be services with you GMail address (or whatever old address).

I haven't yet reached my final decision on what I am going to do.  I have been
using the Gmail address for quite a long time, so I would hate to miss an
email from someone I care about that sends me one years out of the blue.
Currently I have been setting up mbsync, msmtp and Mutt for multiple accounts.
If nothing else it is teaching me a lot.  Currently I am puzzling over the
"bridge" needed for ProtonMail to ensure I understand it well enough to
configure everything properly.  Hopefully I will be done with this sometime
this weekend.  I also want to try out Mutt's sidebar feature to see what I
think of it and using two email accounts seems like it would give it a good
testing.  I can always drop down to one account and forward Gmail to
ProtonMail.

2)  I would like to remove all email storage from the cloud, that is,
whether Gmail or ProtonMail, once I have my mail on my local PC I want to
delete it from those accounts.  What would be the best way to do this?

I collect from my c...@cskk.id.au account using getmail with a setting
which deletes collected messages. So the actual c...@cskk.id.au inbox is
normally empty.

Another one I am still pondering.  What do I want to keep where?

3)  I would like my local storage of my emails to allow for me to store
certain content types in sensible folders.  For example, Python Tutor emails
that I want to keep I would like to store in a Python Tutor folder, Mutt
emails in a Mutt folder, etc.

Pretty sure I'm mentioned this before. My process is getmail from
c...@cskk.id.au, and a separate programme to file messages. I have my own
(mailfiler), but procmail and other tools are popular.

Yeah, I think you have.  I have kept those earlier emails from you nicely
flagged in my inbox for reference.  Currently I am trying to see if I can get
something I like working with notmuch.  I wish I could use notmuch's tagging
capabilities from within Mutt in the sense of adding multiple tags to a single
email or a set of tagged emails.  But the only example of an approach is to
try to adapt the macro I cited earlier in this thread which deletes the inbox
tag.  I see how to modify this to do *one* tag, but that would be hard-coded
and not very flexible or useful.  I'm sure there must be a way to write a
macro to allow for me to enter multiple tags for notmuch, but I don't know
enough about Mutt macros to see a way forwards yet.

The other option is to install one of these notmuch user interfaces and do my
tagging outside of Mutt.  But that seems a bit of an awkward setup.

Probably I would best be served by a manual,
not an automatic, moving into desired folders as I will be picky as to those
emails I would like to keep.  What would be the best advice on this?

Then tag messages in you inbox and ";s+folder" to move them in batches.
Here I mean mutt's (t)ag keystroke, an in memory flag. Emphemeral, used
entirely to do mutt things to an ad hoc batch of messages.

Yeah, I just was playing around with this some earlier in the week.  I'm now
doing this to tag and move emails into my Archive folder, which I have bound
"S" for this purpose.  Which leads me to a question I have been meaning to
ask.  This is what I am using right now:

macro index,pager S "<save-message>=Archive<enter><sync-mailbox>" "Send to
Archive"

If I don't add <sync-mailbox> then the email(s) sit there marked deleted
(Funny that the same 'D' label is used here as for a real deletion.) until I
manually
sync or it happens automatically.  I just want the mail to be _immediately_
moved to my
local Archive folder.  Is there a better, more direct way to do this without
doing a sync operation?

--
Wishing you only the best,

boB Stepp