On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 11:24:59AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 13Feb2021 19:29, Bhaskar Chowdhury wrote:
>> How?? Show us...share with the people ..
>
> I collect my email with getmail, deliver to my local "+spool" mail
> folder, a Maildir (~/mail/spool).
>
> I filter my messages using mailfer:
>
>     https://pypi.org/project/cs.app.mailfiler/
>
> which monitors multiple Maildirs for new messages, and files them
> according to per-folder rules.

Nice.  I've bookmarked this as a procmail alternative :)

> The desktop popup comes from my "alert"r script:
>
>     https://hg.sr.ht/~cameron-simpson/css/browse/bin/alert?rev=tip
>
> That will issue alerts to a variety of places depending on envvars and
> options particularly my dlog (a timestamped text log I use for
> reviewing things, since my invoicing system is a ghastly hack held
> together with string) and to the desktop.
>
> The "desktop alert" part of that script is in the $to_desktop
> if-statement at the bottom. Presently I'm on a Mac and use the
> "terminal-notifier" command to issue a normal Mac Notification popup.
> I'd be using whatever Linux desktop notification command line were
> suitable were I on Linux.
>
> I presume there _is_ a standard way to issue a popup alert on Linux
> systems these days? I used to just always run a permanent very short
> full-width terminal across the top of the screen tailing a log file
> myself, crude but effective. The same terminal also accepted commands
> if you typed them.

This is an interesting bunch of workarounds.  Again, thank you for
sharing :)

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.